I’ve been posting for a bit and I thought this would be a fun way for you all to get to know me a little better. In the midst of me drafting this post, Hunida of HunidasBlog.com nominated me for a Liebster Award and Chloe of Being-Chloe.com nominated me for the Sunshine Blogger Award. I have included their bonus questions below. 💕
1. If you had unlimited time and resources to support a new hobby, what would it be?
I would learn calligraphy, learn how to play the guitar and piano, learn how to make my own clothes, learn pole dancing, and learn how to braid hair. I currently don’t have the time nor patience to learn any of these things.
2. What is your favorite TV show?
I don’t watch too much TV and lately, when I do, it’s usually Netflix. I LOVE THE OFFICE. I can watch it over and over. It’s always awkward and uncomfortably hilarious. My personality is a mix of Jim Halpert and Dwight Schrute.
3. What is something you think you will regret in the future not starting now and what is something you already regret not starting sooner?
My retirement fund (hello senior citizen poverty) and this blog. I’ve wanted to blog full throttle for a while but was hesitant to do so.
I loved my Barbies! This is where my obsession with the color pink spawned. Some things never change.
4. What part of your culture are you most and least proud of?
Black America is such a fascinating culture. It influences the world and by doing so, it welcomes the world. I wish we could unify once and for all… but that’s a heavy topic for a light blog post.
5. What’s the worst and best thing about being a woman?
Obviously the worst thing is anything involving menstration–when it starts, when it stops, the mood swings, the hot flashes, the swollen boobs, etc. The best thing? The strength and ability to bring life into the world… aaaaaand multiple orgasms.
6. If you could put your brain in a robot and live indefinitely, would you?
Only if I had a platform and the means to help people, educate, or shape the future for the better. Otherwise, let nature take its course.
I was going through a severe identity crisis as a Tomboy-Spice Girl. I was a trendy lil thang with my choker and space buns. I also had on panty hose and platforms in my sixth grade ID picture. Forever 21, eat your heart out! (I can’t believe I’m sharing these pictures on the internet. Note to self: no more blogging whilst champagning!)
7. What always sounds like a good idea at the time but rarely is?
Haha, besides drinking, you mean? On a serious note, I don’t believe in revenge. I leave karmic retribution for the universe to handle. If I know I’ve lived in accordance to my highest life rituals, my soul is free and clear. That’s up to whomever wronged me to answer for.
8. Do you believe in God?
9. What are you most passionate about and what do you wish you were more passionate about?
I am passionate about life and helping people. I wish I was more passionate about politics since it’s the means with which I can help and advocate for more people.
10. Where is the last place you would ever go?
11. What’s something that you’ve never been able to do well?
Play sports, dance, and naturally possess patience.
This is the oh so dreamy Phillip Michael Thomas Jr.! His father starred in Miami Vice. We used to sing, record together, and even went on tour in Georgia back in the day. I had the biggest crush on him! That’s also me in front of my first car–gosh, I loved that damn Mustang SO much!!!
12. What’s the biggest lesson life has taught you?
Yield before jumping to conclusions. Ask questions. Challenge everything. Explore “facts.” Trust myself. STFU sometimes and just listen.
13. If you were a song, which song would you be?
Probably Electric Feel by MGMT.
14. What world famous monument do you have no interest in visiting?
The Sydney Opera House in Australia.
15. What doesn’t exist but you desperately want / need it?
A personal robotic assistant. I’m just patiently waiting for Apple to get Siri together once and for all…
16. What do you think people automatically assume about you when they look at you?
Honestly, I don’t know and I don’t care. That’s none of my business.
17. What do you really wish you knew when you were younger?
People project their insecurities and fears onto you and it is in no way a reflection of you; rather, a reflection of themselves. Their truth isn’t your truth and you don’t have to accept it as such.
18. What areas in your life do you have high hopes for and what are those high hopes?
I have high hopes for my love life and health. There are at least 7.5 billion people on the planet; I’m sure there’s someone out there that will like me back and not be weird about it. I also want to have a child someday (Janet Jackson and Eva Longoria are my heroes). Health wise, I want to be strong, agile, and comfortable in my own skin. I pray to be on team thigh gap some day. I will also settle for team thighs only slightly rub together.
Do y’all remember when Diddy released his Sean Jean shoe made out of the same leather they use in Maybachs?!? Well, I had a signed pair, lol. I really bought the shoe to slip Diddy my demo tape. I’m still not famous so it didn’t work, but it was a fun day nevertheless.
19. What is the one place in the world you wish you lived in?
I would love to relocate to Paris. I actually researched the move a few years ago but obtaining a French visa is a bit harder than expected.
20. What things are akin to nails on a chalkboard for you?
I am embarrassed that I am this type of person, but I cringe at the your/you’re mixup. It confuses me and forces me to re-read in order to ascertain the author’s intention. I usually just quit reading out of sheer and utter frustration. *whispers* Sorry.
This was when I sang the National Anthem before a Miami Dolphins game! The Orange Bowl has since been torn down and replaced by Marlins Park.
BONUS: Hunida’s Questions
1. What happened to cause you the most physical pain you’ve ever been in?
I have an umbilical hernia and it drives me mad. I need surgery to repair it again. 😦
2. How do you take your coffee?
Strong, sweet and brown like me!
3. What is your favorite genre of books to read? Or TV shows/movies to watch?
My favorite books to read are fiction (action, romance, murder mystery) and psychology books. My favorite TV shows are cartoons and drug documentaries (I’m an extremist).
4. How did you celebrate your 21st birthday?
I don’t remember and that’s truly a sign of aging. It definitely wasn’t spent drinking; I didn’t start drinking until I was 24.
5. What is your favorite type of bread?
I love bread so much! Any will do! Sourdough, naan, croutons, French, challah–you name it! I must limit my intake because otherwise my thighs will explode.
5. What kind of shoes do you prefer for everyday wear (heels, sandals, slip-ons, sneakers, etc.)?
Sandals! I’m a Miami girl and we love to show off our white toenail polish, haha!
6. What is your favorite store to shop at? (It can be an online store.)
Amazon and Nordstrom.
7. What is your favorite dessert? Be specific!
8. Do you enjoy roller coasters? Have you ever thrown up from riding one?
Yes, I enjoy them and no, I’ve never thrown up from one. The older I get, the scarier they become. I’m on the cusp of rollercoaster retirement!
9. What is the number one thing you want to experience before your death?
Nirvana—not giving a single flying fuck about anything or anyone and feeling pure bliss.
BONUS: Chloe’s Questions
1. What is your favourite thing about blogging?
I love all that it takes to create a post—the writing, taking pictures, editing pictures—it’s all very fun for me. I also really enjoy reading other people’s blogs. I’m glad blogging has made a resurgence!!
2. What is the thing you find most difficult about blogging?
Promoting my blog posts can be difficult at times especially because I typically drop posts during the workweek and am b-u-s-y!
3. If you could be any animal, what would you be?
A koala bear.
4. If you could do go visit any place, where would it be?
Thailand! Hopefully, this happens between this and next year. The rest of my bucket list? Paris, Puerto Rico, Italy, Greece, Africa (yep, the whole damn continent), Tokyo, Alaska, Montana and all of the West Indies.
5. What is your guilty pleasure?
I love to dance in the mirror and put on performances.
6. What is your favourite film and why?
Hmmm, I’m not really a movie buff but I really love “Mean Girls.” It’s hilarious and truly a millennial gem.
7. What is your number 1 goal for 2018?
Don’t fuck it up! My mantra this year is “Stay focused on staying focused.”
8. What style of music is your favourite?
I love all types but as of late, I really enjoy electronic R&B (think James Blake, FKA Twigs, Purity Ring, Active Child, etc) and Downtempo (ie: Catching Flies, Telepopmusik, CFCF).
9. Who is the blogger that inspires you the most?
I love Karla Deras of Karla’s Closet. Nowadays, she focuses on her brand and doesn’t really blog anymore but I really enjoyed her posts. Her “high-fashion-without-trying” style is so sexy, regal, and eye catching!
10. How do you stay positive?
By showing appreciation for the little things in life, it really keeps things in perspective for me. I undid a lot of the toxic mental conditioning that caused unnecessary stress and anguish. I honor that I have all the time in the world to do whatever it is that I want to do, so long as I want to do it. I suffer from depression and anyone that has this disease knows that it’s chronic, but by tapping into the moment, I can self-assess and self-coach myself back to a decent place.
11. Do you have any pets?
I have 5 Dachshunds!
Whew! There ya have it–me in a nutshell! We’re pretty much besties now!
…Want more? Follow me on Instagram! Do I post pictures often, no… but I live for IG storytime!